Shane Burgos revealed that he has fought out his UFC contract and will now sign with the PFL on The MMA Hour.
'Hurricane' Shane told fans after his last fight that he had plans to test free agency. This statement came to fruition in the form of a 2-season PFL contract.
Burgos' move was financially motivated, as the PFL offered him a salary that "the UFC could not match" he told Ariel Helwani. This was not the first time he'd been approached by the PFL. They sought him out after he fought out a UFC contract earlier on in his career, but at the time Burgos had different aspirations.
The pay gap from the UFC to the PFL is 'huge'. In one PFL fight, Burgos revealed that he will earn more than multiple UFC fights have paid. Should he win the season and all of his fights along the way, he revealed that he will become a multi-millionaire.
Burgos has been a fan favorite since he began his UFC career, constantly putting on Fight of The Year contenders. He fought top talent such as Calvin Kattar, Edson Barboza, and Josh Emmett during his time with the promotion and went toe-to-toe with each of them.
Shane is riding a 2-fight winning streak as he exits the UFC. Perhaps his candid attitude on the greater pay in other promotions will influence more fighters to test the market.
Join over 100,000 fight fans and receive the best fight week content every Friday morning.
Check out our lastest edition.